"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday: Tree Season

For the past several years, we have been buying our Christmas tree at Cougar Mountain. Which conjures up romantic images of adventure and snow capped peaks. In reality, however, the lot is a few blocks from home, and the only cougars around are the bored housewife variety.

As a kid, things were different. My dad loaded us into the family wagon and drove like the race car-driver-he-always-knew-he-could-be to cut down the perfect specimen from a tree farm in the local mountains. For some of us, the heartwarming tradition included throwing-up on arrival (TOA). And you were wondering why I was content with the tree lot...
Over the years, I have sought answers that will keep the tree from drying out prematurely. I have boiled water to penetrate the sap barrier that forms on the cut trunk; I have added the mystery solution purchased from the tree lot; I have watered obsessively (best method so far); and I have heard that adding 7-Up, corn syrup, pennies or Aspirin might work too.

This year, I asked advice from a professional: the girl at the tree lot. "Always ask when the tree was cut," she replied. "The fresher, the better. Make sure the tree has a fresh cut on the trunk before putting it in the stand, and keep it watered."

According to a special holiday "MythBuster" episode, spraying hairspray on the tree resulted in impressive staying power and maximum needle hold. Really! The down-side: increased flammability. 

Arbor Day Foundation spokesperson told The Daily Green blog, that using additives to keep cut Christmas trees fresh is, "totally unnecessary." Do you agree?

Let me know. In the meantime, you'll find me watering my tree...

Nice shape, lots of room for a topper!



3 comments :

  1. I got a realy tree this year for the first time in over 20 years!!! I am in love! This looks like a gorgeous tree too!

    Love your blog Bonnie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Caroline! I really appreciate it! Don't the trees smell amazing too! Send me a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get our tree at Cougar Mountain too! Every day I tell it to drink the water ;)

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget