"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Shop: Anthropologie

I think one of things that makes shopping so much fun is the element of surprise. In this, retail guru, Anthropologie, is the master.

Their stores never disappoint. In fact, you don't have to leave with a bag (although that is preferable!) to take home a trunk full of inspiration.

The trends they feature, the products they select, and the way they display it fosters imagination and a spirit of creativity.

I asked the manager at Newport Beach's Fashion Island store if I could take photos for my blog and she enthusiastically agreed. "That's what we're all about," she said, "providing inspiration."

What a wonderful mission!

 
Lampshades & pattern. I'm feeling partial to that splashy floral...

A couch that looks like it's been upholstered with a brightly colored Mexican blanket. In the right spot: fabulous!

I found this chandelier completely inspiring! The entire fixture had been covered (decoupaged?) with printed pages from a book. I feel a project coming on... 


  Thousands of cone-shaped paper were strung from giant arched 'branches' -beautiful! It's like an art installation. I wonder what they do with that when they're done?

 
 A giant, wooden sphere. Sort of thought provoking...I'm not sure what I'd do with this, but somehow I want it...

 Pretty plates. Octo-platter! Love it!

Fantastic idea for wall-covering! These are squares of heavy canvas painted to look like tiles and nailed to the wall. Imagine the possibilities!



This table is a stunner. It's got a heavy, wooden base and metal top. I tried to capture the detail of the table top (not the best pic) to give a idea of how they used gold nail heads to contrast with the silver.

Kitchen towels so cute I'd hate to use them...They would make very special gift wrap though, wouldn't they? Maybe tucked around a loaf of banana bread?

 This large sketch of a bunny absolutely captured my heart. Wish he'd hop on to one of my walls...

2 comments :

  1. Ahhhh... just getting back into blogisphere after being in NYC for the week. I love this store...and need to keep my wallet at home when I go...OMG...I could buy everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back, Caroline!! Totally jealous of your NYC trip! Look forward to seeing the photos! And yes, I feel the same way about Anthropologie...

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget