"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Curb Appeal: Garage Doors


As you might expect, there are more than a few things that need repair or renovation on a home  (like mine) that is approaching the century mark. Recently, however, the imminent danger and lack of functionality posed by our garage door has earned it priority placement at the top of our fix-it-or-die-trying (hopefully, not literally...) list.

While I realize a new garage door is not as sexy as redecorating the living room or a much-needed kitchen remodel -right now I am admittedly obsessed.

I strolled around the neighborhood seeking inspiration.  

What I found was serious curb appeal.



One of the things I liked best about these doors was how well they complimented the feeling and architecture of the home itself.


Character counts!



d

Step Two: Researching where I can find a darling door of my own. If you've had a great experience finding your own perfect garage door I'm all ears! in the meantime, stay tuned...

8 comments :

  1. You're right a garage door is one of the last places I want to spend money. However when you actually stop and look at a home's garage door it can really add or take away from a home's character. You've got some great inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen!I'll be researching costs associated with garage doors & installation in posts to come -fingers crossed I can find some budget friendly and stylish solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ll definitely get a few surprises if you just take a good look around the neighborhood. Just like what you've found. And they're simply gorgeous! The seventh photo with its wood-like color fits the exterior of the house adorably. It resembles a carriage-style garage door, which resembles historic, swing-type and side-folding doors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Kerita! It's amazing what you can find when you really look! Glad you liked the doors -I am still looking for one that I like -in my price range! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said character counts, it really counts! These pics do carry some character in it! I’m glad that you’ve shared these photos. It may seem simple, but it obviously the reflects homeowners’ personality (photos 7-11). I agree with Kerita with the beauty of the seventh one. It has an Old English aesthetic, and yet incredibly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sharron! I am continuing my own search for the perfect garage door and trying to find one with character -that also matches my budget! Wish me luck! And thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owings Generators Garage Entrance Do you think you're in a very quandary where you get probably the most trusted storage door restoration throughout Owings Generators? Complete...

    owingsmills garagedoor

    owingsmills garagedoor repair

    garagedoor repair owingsmills

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget