"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Random Act of Kindness

Yesterday, as I was putting a Ford Focus rental car through the paces of my own personal Long Beach Le Mans and congratulating myself on remembering to pick up both children from various activities while supplying (admittedly) dubious snacks and lecturing on the finer points of what being 'fashionably late' really means I squeaked into a parking space at the parks and rec. sailing center and realized the old meter only took quarters. Fongool!*

This at a place where parking is at a premium and the meter patrol circles like sharks...

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a small stack of quarters placed neatly between the slots!


It made my day.

Since the parking space next to mine had been vacated, I could only assume that the kind hearted soul had left the change in their own pay-it-forward sort of way.

What a difference a dollar can make.

I gleefully used one of the quarters, walked the kids in to their camp (almost on time), made sure they had sun screen and life jackets and signed their lives away.

As the boys sailed off (literally), I placed my own inadequate stack of nickels and dimes next to the remaining quarters. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Thank you, Quarter Fairy wherever you are. I look forward to returning the favor. Peace. Blessings and good parking karma to all.

 *I'm pretty sure this is a made-up word, but my dad says it all the time for emphasis and it does sort of get one's point across.

2 comments :

  1. Love it! Nice reminder that even an anonymous kindness can appear for someone else just when they need it the most! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that...now you have to pay it forward! :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget