"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, October 29, 2012

A Halloween Home: Pumpkin Hollow


Last year, when I was out trick-or-treating with the kids I noticed one neighbor who had carved her pumpkins into little houses. It was love at first sight!

Gourd-geous!

Since I've never been big on celebrating the scary side of this haunted holiday, I couldn't wait to try my hand at Cinderella-inspired architecture. Admittedly, guilty of cute, but predictable pumpkins for years, the pumpkin pied-a-terre was a wonderful way to change up my routine. 

The resulting, countrified condo glows from within with a soft warmth that reminds me of Mousekin's Golden House, a classic children's book I read to my kids when they were little. The story weaves the tale of a small mouse who finds a discarded Halloween pumpkin and makes it his home. When winter comes, the pumpkin protects him from the wind and cold and keeps him safe and warm inside.

Today, as I write this, Hurricane Sandy threatens millions of people and their homes on the East Coast, and my thoughts and prayers are with them all.   



2 comments :

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget