"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Ghostly Glitter Pumpkins!

 



Several years ago while helping decorate for a friend's party, I discovered a simple trick for transforming a pumpkin into a Cinderella of a centerpiece. Practical magic!

I think I may have originally been inspired by a Martha Stewart tutorial, but it has been so long now, I have  made it my own -I hope you will too.

Like all my favorite projects, this one is quick, easy, economical, and basically goof-proof -even the kids can help. 
  
Here's what you'll need:
white (ghost) pumpkins or interesting gourds
plain white glue
a spongy-craft brush
crystal clear glitter (this is heavier, more crystal-like glitter so be sure to get the right stuff. I used "Diamond Dust" by FloralCraft.) 
newspaper to lay underneath




1. Wash and dry the pumpkins or gourds.

2. Cover the tabletop with newspaper (this will catch excess glitter which you can re-use. No waste!).

3. Dip the sponge brush into a bowl of glue and paint the top and sides of the pumpkin with a thin coating. (You can cover the entire pumpkin, or just the top and halfway down the sides. Note: although the glue will look white, it dries completely clear and you won't see it at all!).

4. Sprinkle the glitter over the gluey surface to cover.

5. Let it dry completely! 




The ghostly glitter pumpkins look bewitching by candlelight. 




I usually keep my glittered gourds and pumpkins around to help decorate for Thanksgiving as well -and I always hate to see them go.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget