"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Desk Job: The Big Reveal


Tah-dah!

I know the blogosphere has been waiting on pins and needles for the big reveal of my 1978 Tanker desk makeover...and I am happy to report the sleepless nights are over! 

"Before"

 Thanks to the heavy lifting of my boys the repainted (former jailhouse) Tanker has settled happily into my office niche and taken quickly to its new, civilian role.





Along with a multitude of summer sidetracks (to which I admittedly, gleefully succumbed), one of the reasons it took me so long to complete the makeover was my difficulty in making a decision on the desktop.

The existing faux-wood top was worn beyond shabby chic, looking instead merely shabby and more seedy than chic. I had imagined finding a  floral print, similar to the tote bag that inspired my paint choice, but no luck. On a whim, I bought sheets of Faux-Bois wood grain wrapping paper from Paper Source to see how they might look with the new paint. My kind of perfect. Just the right amount of design without being overpowering as well as a tongue-in-cheek nod to the original desktop.


 Originally, I had envisioned placing family photos, inspirational quotes and ephemera beneath the custom-cut glass top, but I changed my mind after falling in love with the whimsical simplicity of the faux-bois wood grain.

Instead, I used the 5x5 inch prints I ordered from Artifact Uprising and strung them clothesline style with mini-wooden clothespins. 

Although the ultra cool Artifact Uprising deserves its own blogpost, I have to tell you right-this-minute you absolutely need to check out this photo website. Ah-mazing! After receiving my first order of photos on nice, thick card stock, the online photo service has become one of my new favorite happy places -and I have a feeling it could easily become one of yours! (just in time for those vacation photos!)


  
I painted the inside of the all the drawers with a glossy white enamel and kept the existing black trays. Yes, chocolate is an office supply.


Now, if I can just keep it organized...


No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget