"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Traditions...



Almost every summer for the past twenty years, we have returned to the beach side cottage where my husband and his six sisters grew up. Like an heirloom handed down through generations, the experience is priceless. Assorted beach chairs line the sand, gulls fly overhead and neighbor kids you haven't seen in a year have magically grown taller or transformed into teens.

Here, time seems to slow just a bit and donuts are not fattening (that's a rule). 

 Combs, shoes and watches are abandoned and my mother-in-law's firm belief that a dip in the salt water cures whatever ails you once again proves true.

Sometimes, you can go back.


What's your favorite summer tradition?

2 comments :

  1. seriously...this may be my favorite post EVER..

    you really captured a place (one that I have always wanted to see in person) and made it come alive...thank you for that...and I am a big believer that you can breathe deeply and easily with toes in the surf...wishing that for you right now.
    Blessing to you on your journeys! I will update you on my Michigan musings soon... enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michigan Anonymous!! It means a lot that you liked the post and it struck a chord! Please keep me updated with your Michigan musings...I think that's how the Prarie Woman got started! Thanks again!! B

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget