"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday Morning Gratitude


During an excursion to Paper Source last Saturday, this little Gratitude journal caught my eye.

Designed to hold short, daily entries of the (big & small) things we are most thankful for --the book also includes helpful prompts and inspiring quotes.

Although we are weeks away from Thanksgiving, there is scientific evidence proving we should count our blessings more than once a year.

Author and researcher, Robert Emmons, of Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier reports that one of his studies revealed that people who listed 5 things they were grateful for on a weekly basis felt better about their lives overall, were more optimistic about the future, and reported fewer health problems.

A similar study executed by researchers at the University of Connecticut found that gratitude can also have a protective effect against heart attacks.

Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier

Emmons' research asserts people who practice an attitude of gratitude are happier, have reduced stress, increased resilience, better sleep, better relationships and are more productive.

Obviously, we don't need a cute little book to write down what we are thankful for (although it really is darling and would make a great gift... Holidays here we come!) -but it might be nice to have a place to bank our thanks for those moments when gratitude doesn't flow as easily.

As for me, I'm grateful for so much: a short line at Target today, the people and things that lift me up, and the fact you took the time to stop by this little blog today. Thank you. Thank you very much.

What are you grateful for today? If you want to write it down in the comment section below, I'd be, well, grateful...(hey, it's cheaper than the journal...) xo

2 comments :

  1. I am grateful for your wonderful posts that are always a quick break in my day. Photos take me away, thoughts like today's post make me think and offer perspective and your food posts always make me hungry! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed visiting your blog. Liked your honest gratitude list. I blog about gratitude! Hope you will visit and share more of your gratitudes! Today I'm grateful for finding a lucky penny heads up, cool fall weather, spending time with my parents, my parents treating me to lunch, and seeing all the beautiful mums!

    Linda Davidson
    http://www.sharingthanks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget