"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday Motivator: Shake It Up!


 It's Monday. Again. 

I was having a hard time getting motivated when I decided to wander into the kitchen and...browse...

 I realized what I needed was my favorite new chocolate shake, aka, the "Kid Smoothie" from Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen's new cookbook, It's All Good.

It figures that in a 303 page book of healthy, delicious recipes I would zoom in (and learn by heart) the recipe most likely to be a kid favorite, but I digress...

It's easy, super healthy, and most important: delish!

I have altered the recipe slightly to use ingredients I have on hand. Here goes:

My Monday Morning Motivator:
(aka) Kid Smoothie
(with apologies to Paltrow and Turshen)

1 scoop whey protein powder
1 cup cold almond milk
heaping spoonful raw cacao powder
1 banana

(Paltrow & Turshen suggest using Ultracare, a rice protein powder by Metagenics instead of the protein powder but I haven't found it yet; they also suggest instead of a banana or cacao powder, you could go fruity and add fresh or frozen blueberries or soaked Goji berries -which also sounds amazing!)

Blend & serve.
 

After receiving the cookbook as a gift (thank you, Dawn!) I have read it from cover to cover, and not only is it beautifully done -gorgeous photos! Great layout! Cool recipes! I have found it extremely inspirational.

Created in response to Gwyneth's own personal journey toward a healthier lifestyle the recipes are flagged with icons that let you know if the dish is part of the Elimination Diet; if it is Vegan; or Protein-Packed. I love it!

For me, it required a trip to the store for new pantry ingredients, but I am intrigued.

Of course, as you can see, I'm still starting with the chocolate-banana shake...well, baby steps...it's all good.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget