It's July 22 have you built a sandcastle yet?
If not, there's still time to grab a shovel, a bucket and head to the beach.
When you do, pack sunscreen and a few tips I learned from Bruno, a professional sandcastle craftsman (really!) who plies his trade at a Caribbean resort. Some people have all the luck...On the day I took these photos, Bruno was actually on his own vacation in Rockport, Massachusetts and without his regular tools -but still willing to entertain an enthusiastic audience.
Bruno's Beach Building Tips:
1. Have fun!
2. Keep the sand damp with hoses (when available), buckets of water or spray bottles. The moisture helps pack the sand and keep it molded in shape.
3. A sturdy shovel is essential! He dug the sand into high, dense piles before beginning to carve. The stairs were made using the edge of the shovel, and the windows using the pointy tip.
4. Let your imagination go!
5. Use a garden rake as a finishing tool to create a 'frame' for the masterpiece. A simple step makes a big difference!
6. When possible build it far enough away from the tide that your kingdom will endure -at least for a little while...
7. Finally, sign your artwork!
8. Then sit back and enjoy the view, you are officially summer royalty.