"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, September 15, 2014

Next Big Thing? Next Issue App

For as long as I can remember, I've had a bit of a thing for magazines...to put it mildly. In my teen years, waiting to pick up the September issue of Vogue felt like Christmas eve. My love and devotion have remained steadfast over the years, for better issues and for worse; in good time and in bad (i.e. closures - remember Egg? Life? Cookie? Country Home?).

Like any quasi obsession, however, there's a dark side: specifically the stacks of issues and periodicals I can't bring myself to part with. The clutter.
Turns out: there's an app for that.
I discovered Next Issue at the BlogHer conference last July and have been infatuated with it ever since. Instead of schlepping my usual 20 pound tote bag full of magazines on vacation, airplanes, car trips and beach days - I downloaded current issues of my faves onto my iPad and carried that instead!
I might have lost some muscle tone, but it made traveling a breeze!

The genius behind the start up app is an unusual alliance of competitors - six leading publishers (Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., Rogers Communications and Time Inc.) who have acknowledged their changing marketplace and are working together to find a solution. Could Congress do that too? But I digress...

Currently, the app is available on iPad and iPhone, Android and Windows 8 PCs and tablets, and it gives access to current issues as well as back issues for more than 144 publications for a subscription fee of $9.99 per month. 

They are offering a free one-month subscription right now to get you addicted...I mean started!

Although the sleekly designed app allows the magazines to provide digital-only extras such as videos, bonus photography, interactive features, and live web links (fun!) - in my old-school heart it will never completely replace the feel and experience of slick, glossy pages. Yes, I plan on becoming a subscriber when my free trial period runs out and look forward to perusing magazines I might not have purchased otherwise --but I may hold on (cling?) to a few of my very favorite print-based subscriptions while they are still being offered...my house just wouldn't look the same otherwise... 






No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget