"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Literary Inspiration: Great Expectation Scones (spoiler alert!)

 A few weeks ago at back-to-school night I signed up to bring scones for a wake the English teacher was planning to give on the occasion (celebration?) of Miss Jo's demise in Great Expectations. It sounded like a good idea at the time...

I decided to check the blogosphere for a good scone recipe and found The Best Scones Ever on Karlynn Johnston's  Kitchen Magpie blog. For my purposes, I have renamed them, Great Expectation Scones - but the rest is all Karlynn - and she's pretty cool.

She has done a terrific job of walking us through the recipe with step-by-step photos and tips, including her endorsement of the pastry blender: a handheld gadget that slices the butter into the dry mixture in lieu of using two knives in a scissor technique. 
I went out and bought one on her recommendation and am happy to report she was spot on. Worked like a charm! 

I also appreciated her suspicion that her husband married her for her baking...after trying her recipe, I wouldn't blame the guy.

Now bring on the literary luncheon...
I sprinkled a little sugar on top before baking...


1 comment :

  1. Those look delicious. What a nice mom you are. Blaire made her own--lemon! What a surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget