"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Garden Origami: DIY Seed Pots!

 Things are gettin' busy here at the urban farmstead and I am thinking I may need to kick my game up a notch and name my house something befitting a working estate...Martha has Turkey Hill, I'm thinking maybe Opossum Corner? If It Flies Farm? Grammar Manor? Doodle Downs? Lazy Acres? I'm open for suggestions! Give me your best in the comments below...and in my first ever blog contest the winner will get a prize!

In the meantime, here's what I've been up to since the seed delivery:
After a little Internet research, I used the tutorial on the Learning And Yearning blog to make seed starter pots out of newspaper. It was easy and a great way to recycle the Sunday paper.

Here's the process:
 Cut the newspaper into four pieces along the folds.
Layer the pages so you are cutting more than a single sheet at a time.

 Using one of the quarter-page pieces, fold it length-wise into thirds. Doesn't have to be perfect. 
It's sort of garden origami...

 Next using a small juice glass, wrap the band of folded paper around the glass and tape on one side to hold.

 Now, fold down the paper snugly on the bottom of the glass and tape closed.

Excuse sad lack of manicure...

 I made a bunch and used most of the Sunday paper since I bought so many seeds. It's a project that could easily be done in less than an hour -unless you are like me and keep stopping to read the articles...

Next up: seed pots in action. Stay tuned!

3 comments :

  1. Great and useful idea! I'm making my seed starters this way last few year and it always works great! This year I found a nice origami way of folding the newspapers and it's very nice too! Greets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond Suspicion: How American Colleges and Universities Can Reduce Profiling Through Programming Buy English Literature Essays Getting the Most American Gold Coin Value When You Shop for Investment Type Gold Coins

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget