"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Friday, March 6, 2015

Sowing Season: Step One

 I finally found the time to get my seeds into the little newspaper starter pots I made - and realized I will probably have to make more. 
I began by planting a single seed inside each pot and quickly calculated (no brain cells were harmed during this exercise) that at this rate, and with my enthusiastic and ambitious seed purchase I was going to need a lot more "pots". I began adding two. Then three...four seeds at a time...

 Sky Scraper Sunflowers, step one.

Very excited about these Minibell tomatoes! They are supposed to grow about a foot tall on a tree-like stalk. My plan is to obtain maximum cuteness and full sun by planting them in individual terracotta pots! Joy! But first, they have to sprout...

 An artsy shot of a full box of planted seeds. I lined a long cardboard box with a garden trash bag and separated the seed types with flaps from the box.

 To test drive another method of seed starting I put the foxglove seeds in an empty egg carton. One blog I read suggested actually planting the seeds inside empty eggshells for added nutrients. Interesting! But my shells were long gone. Maybe next time.

To gently water the seeds after tucking them into the soil I Farmer McGuyvered my own system. Using a safety pin, I punched holes all over the bottom of an empty water bottle. When I filled the bottle with water it would sprinkle out the bottom without flooding my seeds. With the cap on, you can tip the bottle upside down to stop the flow.

Okay, sunshine do your thing!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

There was an error in this gadget