"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, December 9, 2013

Pintastic: The DIY Rice Sock


If it's the holidays...it's time for rice socks!
If you've read this before, it may be time for you to make a new rice sock, if you haven't you're in for a treat.
One of my most popular posts on Pinterest ever --re-introducting, the rice sock:


  
Several years ago, I learned about the rice sock. A simple, home-made solution for warming up chilly bedsheets in winter or soothing sore muscles.

The socks were such a hit at our house, I started making them as gifts for close friends and family who wouldn't laugh too hard at receiving such a strange and admittedly odd-looking item. Once they tried it, however, the skeptics were converted. 

But there was a new problem. Squabbles broke out over who got to cozy up to the rice sock at night, and I ended up making several more to keep the peace. 

Over the years, I have considered jazzing them up -maybe adding scented herbs like lavender or layering a soft cashmere sock as an outer layer. But it's hard to beat the no-frills simplicity of the basic model.

As my holiday gift to you, I am including the directions below. Make one for yourself first! You deserve it! Then, if you know of someone who might appreciate a thoughtful, little gift feel free to share the love & warmth. Peace.

                         Uncooked rice.                            
Pour rice into a new, clean cotton athletic sock, leaving enough room to tie off the top.
Tightly knot the top of the sock.
Add a gift tag with simple directions. To warm: heat in microwave for 2 - 3 minutes on high. Handle carefully and with common sense. Enjoy!


10 comments :

  1. Well that is the coolest thing! Thank you!
    I know someone who this is the exact right thing for. After mine, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Chloe! Hope you like it as much as we do! Sometimes it's the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh...gotta try that! So cute. I wounder if you could add essential oils or lavender?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought the same thing! I think it might work very well! Let me know if you try it...actually, I have some rose oil, maybe I'll try it too! Keep you posted. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! I might just have to use your idea for some quick gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suparna! It's perfect for a quick gift that folks can actually use! Make one for yourself too & try it on your neck & shoulders...ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They work great if you keep them in the freezer too for little boo-boos. If you add the fragrance, which my children did, store the sock in a Ziploc until you use it to keep the fragrance contained. Good idea for gifts, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Leslie! I love your idea about the freezer! Brilliant and a little more aromatic and malleable than the bag of frozen peas I usually reach for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rice, Rice, Baby. (Sorry - this is what came to mind. Am I dating myself!). I love and use regularly the rice sock you made for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.