"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Gather: Guinness Chocolate Pudding

In the spirit of St.Patrick's and all things Irish (including my husband!)...I've got a recipe straight from the pub...Guinness Chocolate Pudding!


I learned about Guinness Chocolate Pudding from my good friend and new media consultant, Rebecca Irwin. Last year, she posted the recipe onto her Pinterest page from the Sprinkle Bakes blog and received such an overwhelming deluge of 'likes' and 're-pins' she had to turn off the 'alert' setting on her phone. It got me thinking...

I decided immediately I would shamelessly promote This American Home using the same recipe in hopes of going viral...who knows, luck of the Irish and all that...


 The recipe, which originated from Epicurious was created by New York City chef, Shane Phillip Coffey, and is also called, "Chocolate Guinness Goodness". Which about sums it up.

I altered the recipe slightly and have re-written the instructions just a bit to help me remember my process. To read Coffey's version from Epicurious, just click here.


Guinness Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients:

7 ounces high-quality bittersweet (70-72 percent cacao) chocolate
1 cup sugar
3 cups heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
1 - 14.9 ounce can (or a couple of bottles) of Guinness Draught
6 -8 ounce old-fashioned (as in the drink) glasses
additional 3 Tablespoons sugar
dash of Vanilla Extract

Directions 
(or This Way to Guinness Goodness...)

1. In a large, nonreactive mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
2. Pour a can or bottle of Guinness into a large glass measuring cup. Pour it down the sides to reduce foaming.
3. Pour about 7/8ths of a cup (or half of the bottle) into a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan. Add 2 1/4 cups cream and whisk to combine.
4. Set over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until bubbles just begin to form around the edges. (This took about 8-10 minutes for me.)
5. Remove from heat. Add finely chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth.
6. Slowly pour hot chocolate mixture into eggs, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. (This was actually sort of hard, since the saucepan was heavy, and I was terrified of curdling. So I enlisted the help of my teen to help with the process.)
7.   Return mixture to saucepan and set over moderately-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens (about 15 minutes) and "coats back of spoon". I think my mixture did that, but it wasn't a super thick coating at this point... I set my timer and whisked for 15 minutes, maybe a minute or two longer for good measure.
8. Pour into blender and blend on high for one minute. This should have been a no-brainer, but my blender lid wasn't on tightly...my husband who was working on his laptop nearby got quite a surprise and an early taste...
9.Divide pudding among glasses, leaving at least 1 inch of space at the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and set.

At this point, I veer away from the recipe. The original recipe calls for a reduction of Guinness infused into whipped cream. However, after reading the review from Sprinkle Bakes I decided to skip the beer and whipped cream topping and go for a sweet cream topping instead.

Here's what I did...

10. Pour 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream into a chilled metal bowl.
11. Add 3 Tablespoons sugar and a dash of Vanilla extract.
12. Beat with a mixer on high until stiff peaks form.
13. Divide the whipped cream into each of the pudding glasses and serve.

So, now -Question O'the day...how does it taste?

Looking for professional, tell-it-to-me-straight feedback, I consulted my friend, neighbor and foodie blogger, Julie Tilsner -the funny force behind the blog, Bad Home Cooking.


I gave her a five minute warning and drove to her house with my freshly finished pudding, complete with a spoon.


She opened the door and I sort of thrust it at her...

She ate a couple spoonfuls as I watched and waited.

Well?

She ate a little more. "mmmm...."

"It's got depth", she proclaimed.

I asked if she thought kids would like it. "Maybe if they didn't know what was in it"...that sounds about right.


The truth is, the pudding has rich, complex flavors -and while you wouldn't immediately guess Guinness as the mystery ingredient, you know there is something special -sort of smoky and dark -about the chocolate. It contrasted wonderfully with the sweet, light whipped cream.


Chocolate Guinness Goodness may not be what most kids would expect (or choose), but I think it is a treat grown ups would enjoy. Rich, creamy, out-of-the ordinary.


Julie added that the pudding had a 'sophisticated' taste to it, and I agree. Maybe instead of canning jars, I should have broken out the crystal or martini glasses...I'll make a note for next time...







4 comments :

  1. It was DELICIOUS! I'd serve this to guests any time, assuming I could ever actually make it myself (maybe I could hire you...?) Seriously, this is a WORTHY recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! I'll have to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey !! Do you realize how cool is it ?? You gave me great ideas !! Good job.

    http://www.elitebarcelonablog.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elite Barcelona! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.