"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Bohemian Rhapsody: Room With A View


Interior designers Ann Kneedler and Kristin Pipal of Kelly Sutherlin McLeod Architecture were responsible for the upstairs vestibule and balcony area in this year's Pasadena Showcase House -and it was gorgeous: elegant, timeless style with just the right amount of whimsy and character.

Although the small, unconfigured space could have been a challenge -merely a place to pass through on one's way somewhere else, the designers transformed it into a truly functional living area.

Rich, textured fabrics and layered patterns on antique Moroccan rugs, upholstery and pillows complemented hand-painted wall stencils, period-appropriate 1920's light fixtures and comfortable furniture. 

It seemed to me like the kind of place a rich, artistic gypsy type with great taste and loads of old-money might write in journals or read aloud with an interesting friend. They would sip sangria and laugh a lot...and there would be great music and perhaps an orange cat...of course, sometimes my imagination does run away...


The room was the epitome of casual elegance that seemed natural and anything but forced.


 French doors led from the vestibule to a second-story balcony overlooking the main garden.

The transition of color and design between the spaces was seamless, and the team remained wonderfully committed to celebrating the architectural integrity and historic features of the 1920's Spanish Colonial Revival home.


On the balcony, this was an interesting way to plant succulents. Very pretty!


When you've got real art on the balcony, you know you have arrived. These pieces were simply lovely. Time worn enough not to appear too precious, but at the same time, charming and luxe.


The dark teal color of the trim and ceiling paint was present throughout the estate and I found it completely inspiring! I don't know how I will incorporate this color into my own home, but I plan on figuring it out...


Colorfully painted spindles make the balcony railing a work of art and define the space.

I'm positive my imaginary, well-accessorized bohemian friends would come out here, light the candles and continue talking and drinking on this balcony well into the night...I know I would.

2 comments :

  1. WOW! Gorgeous. Can I be one of your bohemian friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg...I really think I may do something criminal to get my hands on that chair...seriously....that mid century chair and ottoman with their Polynesian accents looks like luxe hawaiian and comfort all rolled into one...I do not trust myself to visit this show home...for fear that I may show up with a rented U-haul and alterier motives!
    Thanks for covering this...where oh where did Kelly get that chair! I'll just have to dream of my own! LOVING this blog...please keep up the amazing coverage! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.