"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Idea: Upright Succulent Garden




Although there were many inspiring ideas to be seen at this year's Pasadena Showcase House for the Arts, the vertical garden designed by Anne Phillips and her team at Go Green Gardeners was one of my favorites.

Succulents planted in a vintage French riddling rack -a wooden rack originally intended for vintners of sparkling wine - was a clever creation that had pride of place along the estate's front walkway. 

It's an idea that would work just as well for a smaller, more space-challenged area.

Phillips showcased a similar wall using edible plants in an article for the Los Angeles Times Home section. For that installation, Phillips wrapped the back of each plant with coconut coir fiber and then filled in soil around the roots. The backing is then secured with green plastic fencing and can be watered by hand or via drip irrigation. 

Pretty. Smart.


5 comments :

  1. All of this are really adorable. It is so nice that they had think of this idea which is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Castors! I agree -it's a great idea and now I will be on the look out for a riddling rack of my own! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, I want those in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I was researching vertical succulent gardens and I loved this. I found some DIY riddling rack projects on line...so time to put the husband to work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos of your succulents make me want to run out and start one so badly!

    @curlygirlmimi

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.