"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Barefoot Pilgrimage: Me & Ina



About a week ago, just prior to Thanksgiving, I gathered at the South Coast Plaza shopping center in Orange County, California with a couple thousand of Ina Garten's closest friends to celebrate her latest Barefoot Contessa cookbook, Foolproof: recipes you can trust. It wasn't my first time at the recipe rodeo, so I expected the throngs of loyal fans, and managed to score a relatively reasonable spot in line -without getting there at the crack of dawn.

Thoughtfully recognizing my peeps and I would be getting hungry with all that standing around and waiting, the event organizers, upscale purveyors of kitchen and home goods, Williams-Sonoma plied us with trays of treats using recipes from the new cookbook. We tasted the Raspberry Crumble Bars and the Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta. Very clever crowd control... 
 
  
Holiday decorations were already decking the halls to get us in the gift giving mood...rather effective I might add...


After all that time waiting in line, you'd think I would have come up with something sparkling and clever to say to my new best friend to cement our exciting new relationship. Unfortunately, that was not the case and I think I mumbled something rather unintelligible...still at one point, our eyes locked and we had sort of moment...



Aside from the gorgeous photos and absolutely delish recipes (using easy-to-find, accessible ingredients), another thing I love about Barefoot Contessa cookbooks is the way they are written.

In addition to recipes, Foolproof offers practical ideas for stocking pantrys and grocery shopping as well as party planning, cooking tips and even table decor.

One idea: using non-skid rug mats beneath table clothes to avoid slippage! Aha!

"But the best news," writes Ina, "is that I've made all of these recipes dozens of times before. I've highlighted all the speed bumps and the blind spots along the way so you can make the adjustments you need to make as you go along. That way, you can get the recipes right not just the first time but every time you make them." 

That's my girl.  
   

2 comments :

  1. Barefoot with Bonnie - Haha! Love the title and who knows Ina may too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Barefoot With Bonnie is sort of catchy...fingers crossed! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.