"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanks Giving!


"Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence." – comedienne, Erma Bombeck
 
This year, AAA expects 43 million Americans to board trains, planes and automobiles and take part in our national Thanksgiving pilgrimage. Count four McCarthys in as well.

Today, we're driving to my sister's house and bringing a couple of pies and a bottle of wine. Talk about getting off easy. Schwing!

I am grateful for Debbie & Joe!

...And also for funny movies, good books, sunflowers, friends who are like family, healthy kids, jokes I can remember, those free little bottles of shampoo and conditioner in hotels, sugar cookies, dogs (especially Daisy), the smell of coconut-scented sunscreen, margaritas, steel drums, toothpaste that whitens, electricity, kindness, views that take your breath away, kayaks, inspiring quotes, my 9 sisters (really!), music, indoor plumbing, good hair days, Space Mountain, warm sand, sunsets, happy endings, sunrises (I hear they're beautiful...), salted carmel, every single reader who visits my blog!, gifted teachers, those times when I'm so happy I tear up, clever/thoughtful/beautiful design, the smell of something baking, my husband (honey, these things aren't in order...you really do rate above Space Mountain and toothpaste...), my bike the "Gypsy", glitter, Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, the fact that I was born in a country where girls attend school, for the possibilities born of faith, art, work, imagination, nice restaurants and the fact I've been in a few, my parents, sailboats, new friends, friends who have known me since I used to perm my hair and liked me anyway, for grace and hope, for my new lampshade, yoga, my two boys who inspire me every day, and the fact I don't ever have to take another math class again -ever.

I could go on...I haven't even begun to list sale items, clothes that visually take off ten pounds, black dresses, feeling loved, people who have bought my artwork, and cute swimsuit coverups...
 
What are you grateful for today -everyday? (Tell me in the comment section below! Listapalooza!)

No wonder we fly and drive, stand in long grocery lines, drive home, realize we forgot something and drive back again. We have so much to celebrate. To remember. To commemorate. To toast.

 

Here's a quote that also makes a wonderful (and by that I mean brief and meaningful) toast. So, to you, my friends and far-flung family, I raise a virtual glass of really fabulous, expensive virtual wine -and invite you to do the same.
"May you live all the years of your life." – Jonathan Swift
 

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments :

  1. I am thankful for your friendship and your wit and wonderful writing! I'm also thankful to know your hubby and handsome boys. xoxoxoShayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, shucks, Shayna! I am grateful for you as well!! Hugs to you this holiday season my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.