"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy 2013: Wagon's Ho!


 "Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.” _German poet and philosopher Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I used this quote to begin my blog about a year ago, and (for me) it continues to provide powerful inspiration for the new year ahead.

Or, to paraphrase a friend's Facebook post: endeavor to do something every day that you will thank yourself for in five years (if not sooner).

Take a vitamin. Have coffee with a friend. Walk the dog. Brainstorm an outline for that book proposal you've been meaning to write, or jot notes for a small business idea. Volunteer for an hour. Give blood. Sign up for an art class or a trapeze experience (really!). Little stuff.

The kind of stuff that makes the world go 'round and brings joy and friendship, health, happiness, love and fulfillment. Big stuff.

Because I am an optimist to the core, I usually do make new year's resolutions, even though my track record mocks me and suggests the whole shebang is an exercise in futility. At least it's exercise, right?

Anyway, this year, I thought instead of calling them "Resolutions", I will think of them as my "intentions" for 2013...sort of a snappy, new, self-to-self marketing twist.

Here's the rationale: Resolutions (capital R) seem to suggest a rather unforgiving, all-or-nothing approach, while kinder, softer Intentions appear to allow room for being human, i.e. occasional back sliding and, of course, the fantastic crash-and-burn-type unseatings from the top of the perfection wagon.
 In my mind anyway, I am hoping it will be easier to hoist my bruised pride and clumsy strivings back up onto the Intention wagon.

I hope you'll join me. There's plenty of room, and I'd love the company.

To Hope. Joy. Potential. Adventure

Wagon's Ho!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.