"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Read: Where Women Create


I was pushing my industrial-sized cart through Costco the other day when I happened upon the magazine rack...and thought I might check to see if there were any copies of Flea Market Finds still on the shelves...and possibly relocate them to the front of the rack...

when I noticed another bookazine entitled, Where Women Create by Jo Packham. Very cool!

The beautifully photographed tome is chock-a-block full of art, inspiration and ideas. One of the best parts: a peek at how artists of every stripe organize their work spaces --and what those spaces look like. Turns out, it's not always a movie-perfect loft in Manhattan like one might imagine. Instead, it's kitchen tables, attic nooks, barn lofts and spare rooms: kind of like where the rest of us live.

After purchasing the bookazine and reading through it at home, I was struck by the sense of community and esprit d'corp that permeated the pages. Personal stories, inspirational tips and motivational quotes all conveyed a shared sense of passion, a love of style, and a commitment to self expression. (There also seemed to be a collegial fondness for flea marketing...and you know how I feel about that!)

Some of the featured artist are trained in fine arts, others are not. They are united, however, by their courageous hearts and the boldness to simply begin. To start. To push aside the demons of negativity and doubt that dwell within each of us, and ultimately: to try.

What have you been waiting to do? According to my watch, the time is now. Give yourself permission and go for it.

(Yes, you can. xo)

 
Artist Jessica Swift (who created the colorful artwork above) offers this advice:
Follow your intuition wherever it takes you, even if it's scary or feels confusing. Listen closely to your inner voice because it's pointing you in the exact direction that you need to go. You never need to listen to what someone else is telling you you're "supposed to do" --the answers you need are already within you. Get quiet, listen, and then act accordingly.


Painter Barbara Strawser (featured in the layout above) says she's been painting since she was 15-years-old, "It's all I've ever really wanted to do."

Where Women Create will remain on major news stands until October 31, 2013.

3 comments :

  1. Bonnie,
    Yes! to Jo Packham's Where Women Create, but a Hell, Yes! to you and Flea Market Finds! I just picked it up last week and devoured the entire read, passing it along to one of my sisters/partners in our crime of passion - vintage finds/designs/sales.
    Your bookazine was fabulous, full of great information, all in one place. I've seen similarly themed articles in various magazines, but this one is a great keeper reference, all in one publication.
    Thank you for the publication!
    Rita C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita! Thank you so much for this amazing compliment!! I am really glad you enjoyed Flea Market Finds - I sure enjoyed writing it and feel so lucky to have been a part of the project! Thanks also for reading my blog! Please sign up to be a member and receive email notifications of new posts! I will be sure to let you know of any upcoming projects! Thanks again! All the best-Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita! Thank you so much for this amazing compliment!! I am really glad you enjoyed Flea Market Finds - I sure enjoyed writing it and feel so lucky to have been a part of the project! Thanks also for reading my blog! Please sign up to be a member and receive email notifications of new posts! I will be sure to let you know of any upcoming projects! Thanks again! All the best-Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.