"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wander: Abbot Kinney Boulevard


Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice Beach is one of the hippest places in Los Angeles and that's saying something.

Distinctly different, and far removed from the carnival atmosphere of Venice's touristy beach boardwalk, Abbot Kinney Boulevard was named in honor of the city's founding father, and although it may not look like much at first, it is a bastion of directional, bohemian chic. 

Think: Hippie-Heiress-meets-Urban-Artsy-Type.

 It' random. It's cool. It's eclectic --and it's totally L.A.


Somebody's watching you...I think of this building as the hairy eyeball.



A Trifecta of Fun: the boulevard raises window shopping, people watching and eating to an art form.

 Style seekers from around the globe share the sidewalk with locals, designers and the occasional celeb. Although it's tempting to try and blend in by adopting the camouflage of the ultra-cool subculture, I think a be-as-you-are philosophy works best here: Yes, I'm a 40-something mom toting a camera and looking dorky. Yes, I will own this. Dress code: California casual.

On this visit, I also had my son in tow and as a result we were inevitably drawn to N'ice Cream, a home made gelato shop that makes fresh, all-natural batches daily (no more than 12-hours old!). A connoisseur of creameries, my young foodie proclaimed it: "one of the best gelatos" he's ever had. (Oh, mom you're not going to write that...) Salted caramel is a local fave.


I think one of the best things about wandering around an unfamiliar neighborhood is happening upon unexpected inspiration. I have a feeling something around this house is going to get a paint job very similar to this food truck...


a.t.f. = All Things Fabulous. Love it! 

These trendy folks were very friendly, which is really the most fabulous thing of all. (Notice how they have painted stripes on the tree trunks...kind of like croquet sticks!)



To get to Abbot Kinney Blvd., check out the directions here. If there's an equally inspiring shopping district near you I'd love to hear about it! Let me know where I should visit next! I'll be the one with the camera...

2 comments :

  1. I just finished reading Flea Market Finds cover to cover and wanted to let you know that I loved it. Wanted to send an email, but you don't have one posted, so sorry this is public. It's a great magazine and I loved your style of writing. I hope it's something you'll do again because I'd definitely subscribe. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Destashio & thank you!! I really appreciate your feedback and am thrilled you enjoyed Flea Market Finds! Yay! I loved writing the project and I hope to work on another one in the coming months! Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted! In the meantime! I checked out your blog, Destashio.Wordpress.com & thought it was just great! Love the new bathroom remodel and the painting from the estate sale is so cool! Good eye! Please stop by the blog again and I will do the same!
    All the best, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.