"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Friday, October 11, 2013

Sailing Into the Long Beach Open Studio Tour

This weekend, for the fourth year in a row, I am participating in the Long Beach Open Studio Tour -an annual, city wide event in which artists of every stripe open their studio doors to local art lovers. It's a hoot, and I find I am continually inspired by the people I meet.

  
 This year, my photography looks a bit different. In addition to the style and themes I have always been drawn to, I am also including photos I took of wooden sailboats racing for the win in Nantucket's Opera House Cup.

 This annual summer regatta features sailboats that were previously raced for the America's Cup -when the boats were still made of wood. Last August, it was a gorgeous day out on the water "chasing" the sailboats in a viewing boat with friends, and I was completely inspired. 


Documentary film maker, John Stanton obviously felt the same way. In homage to these beautiful crafts, he created Wood, Sails, Dreams and I am including a clip of it below. If you happen to live in the Long Beach area, I hope you'll visit a few of the studios this weekend, it's fun -and it's free! Check out this link for a map with details! Enjoy the weekend -and may the wind be at your back. 
 
 
Wood • Sails • Dreams from John Stanton on Vimeo.

1 comment :

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.