"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, April 28, 2014

Musings & A Vingtage Odyssey



Life has definitely been getting in the way of blogging lately, and just as I was feeling rather badly about it I ran across a post by Sarah Tolzmann at Note to Self (a super cool blog that you may now all abandon me for, but it has to be said).

It's funny how sometimes things seem to appear in front of us exactly when we need to see them. In her post, she wrote about her frustration with trying to manage a blog, a job (Ralph Lauren Media Designer in NYC) and personal adventure, "I am struggling here," she writes --and it couldn't have been more reassuring --not to mention inspiring. If total pros like Sarah are still working to find a balance --maybe there is hope for me after all?

I am totally thrilled to be working on my fourth bookazine for Media Source (Organize! The Holidays -ho!ho!ho!) -but it has thrown my schedule and my balance for a loop and I am trying to get my groove back...or at least something close.

If you're reading this, thanks for sticking around. Hopefully, I will redeem myself in the not-too-distant future...

I will be going to a Media Monday event at the 50th Annual Pasadena Showcase House this week, taking photos and talking to designers and I can't wait!

I am also behind on sharing several stories that haven't quite made it out of the cluttered corners of my mind, and a few more I want to share as soon as I get a free minute to go exploring.

Last week, I had a chance to visit Claremont Village for the first time. We've blown past it on the way to Palm Springs for years but never stopped. Wow -we were missing something special. Absolutely gorgeous homes and tree-lined streets circle a quaint downtown with fun shops and restaurants.

When we saw a store with a giant cow out front, of course, we had to go in...and we weren't disappointed. Vintage Odyssey had an Atari Pong game hooked up to a chunky old TV and a little sign encouraging us to turn it on and play. Woohooooo! Weren't my kids surprised when I could beat them! Finally! Kickin' it Old School. After mocking Pong for years, they were surprised by how much fun it was...in fact, we had to pry them away from the game when it was time to leave. Ha! Vindication!

Not before I spotted this Get Smart-style decoy duck phone ($60), however, a classic! Imagine how cute this would be in a weekend mountain cabin! A ducky of a deal --and a total quack up.

I bet he's still there if you have the perfect spot...in the meantime, thanks for stopping by --I hope you'll let me know what you've been up to (and if you have any suggestions for work/life balance?) in the comment section below! 
xo


Vintage Odyssey, 201 W. Bonita Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.