"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Garden Variety: A Strategy That's Vintage California


On the 3000-square-foot area surrounding Urban Americana, the new antiques and collectibles consortium in Long Beach, CA, owner Chris Geer is growing a second business, a micro-nursery stocked with drought tolerant plants and native west coast greenery.

Geer says, "I'm a big believer that drought-tolerant is the future of the nursery business...so I figured, I have the land and on a micro-scale I could get my feet wet...and see how it goes... We’re stocking the nursery with succulents and native Californian shrubs and grasses so everything out there is basically full sun and drought tolerant."

 

 Although not everyone would pair a nursery with vintage design and decor, Geer says, " I think the people who are interested in the nursery will come inside and vice versa...I think people will come here [looking for a] nursery –which it is, and then wander inside. I think the two compliment each other." 


  
After wandering the grounds myself, I agree. The green space set inside the modern, decorative fences of the store offered an urban oasis --as well as a relaxing, stylish vibe.

Take a mini break and roam...


Urban Americana Nursery @ 1345 Coronado Avenue, Long Beach. Hours 10-6pm.


Follow me! BonHome on Pinterest and @ThsAmericanHome on Twitter!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.