"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Friday, June 27, 2014

Pintest: Summer Sangria

It struck me recently as I was pinning like a woman possessed on Pinterest (which, really, is there any other way?) that I should actually do some of these creative, amazing, bucket-list things...go to the exotic locales, try the organizing tips, make the crafts, whip up those mouth watering recipes, mix the drinks!

What a concept: make the virtual a reality.
Better yet, blog about it!

Introducing: Pintest! A new column for This American Home that takes the pins off the boards and into real life. A place for road testing the recipes, DIY ideas, decorating tips, restaurants, shops --and if I win the lottery, check out those exotic destinations I pin to boards called "Escape" and "See Worthy".

A few nights ago, when I was looking for a fun way to celebrate the Summer Solstice (really!) I decided to try my first official Pintest: Summer Sangria.

The pin that captured my interest (photo by Jaymi Heimbuch Photos for the Gramercy Blog). Mmmmm...

According to the caption it sounded easy and fabulous. Two of my favorite things!

When I clicked through on the pin to get to the original source, the Gramercy Fine Linens & Furnishings blog, the recipe was different than I had expected: The original recipe was for Raspberry and Serrano Sangria.


I decided to alter the sangria slightly -which I think is still within the rules of a Pintest since life is really all about personalization --and I can report the results are pefectly pin-worthy!

Do try this at home! 


Summer Sangria



Ingredients:
1 small carton of raspberries 
(it also called for Strawberries, which I didn't have, but I think they would make a marvelous addition!)
1 lime 
2 apples, Granny Smith and a Braeburn 
1 bottle of Pinot Grigio
1/2 cup of white grape juice 
1 can of club soda
Mint leaves for garnish



1. Finely dice both apples (and strawberries if using!), then cut the lime into fairly thick slices.


2. Layer all of the the different fruits in a tall pitcher, adding a dash of sugar in between every layer.


3. After all of the fruit has been layered, add the remaining sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.



4. Add the wine to the fruit and sugar mixture.



5. Add the white grape fruit juice and top it all off with the club soda. Place in the refrigerator to chill.



6. Once the sangrĂ­a has chilled the bloggers at Gramercy write: "Bust out your favorite wine glasses. I like a lot of fruit in mine so I am not bashful about digging around for more berries." 



7. Garnish the drink with fresh mint and serve.

 
Follow me on Pinterest (@ BonHome ) --and feel free to suggest a few pins! Tell me your Pinterest name in the comment section below and I will follow you too!

Happy weekend!
xo

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.