"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
_ William Morris
, 19th century craftsman, designer, writer


Add your email address here & receive new posts from This American Home!

Friday, March 13, 2015

Ikea Project: Operation Counter Space

It's would be an understatement to say counter space is at a premium in my kitchen, which is why I can't believe it took me so long to trade my bulky, knife blocks for a magnetic storage strip. However, when the lightbulb finally went off I wanted it done yesterday.
I had the perfect spot for the storage strip and I couldn't wait to get started on what appeared to be an extremely simple Ikea project...do you see where this is going?


I chose the Grundtal Magnetic Kitchen Knife Rack ($14.99) which has a measly three pieces. How hard could it be?
Unless of course you have plaster walls. In which case, I also needed anchors, and of course my own screws since the knife rack does not come with screws, yada, yada, yada...I just wanted it up. Done. Happily ever after.

I scrounged around in the tool box and found some hardware that looked appropriate. I read the terse directions several times and fired up the electric drill. To his credit, my husband heard the drill and remained in his office, possibly pretending that if he ignored the home improvement project it would go away.

Since I had never installed anchors before and was more than a little nervous about drilling them into our wall -when they failed to screw in flush to the wall I began to panic. The holes were huge and the plaster could crack at any minute...resulting in yet another project...help.
I dragged my husband, who does not fancy himself a handyman, away from his desk and into my crisis. He assessed the wall, the anchors, and picked up a heavy mallet. No, I assured him, force was not the answer. He pounded them anyway. It worked. Of course, they are never ever coming out of the wall and the magnetic knife strip will now live there for all eternity, sort of like the pyramids.

I had no idea what this picture meant until it happened to me. OUCH (or another word)!!! When attaching the front, magnetic panel of the rack to the metal wall mounted strip -WATCH YOUR FINGERS! The magnetic strip is drawn to the metal on the wall with the kind of G-force usually reserved for jet pilots... 

Today, I am living the dream. The knives on the wall have been a big hit with the family and we all marvel that we didn't think of it sooner. 
It kind of makes me wonder what else I am missing...I'll get back to you on that. 
In the meantime, please share your own DIY success stories in the comments below. I'd love to hear your story!

2 comments :

  1. Looks great! Sorry you hurt your fingers. I do think the IKEA drawings are more effective than what used to be very bad English as a Second Language instructions. You might have found the words "Digits lookout!" equally as baffling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I swear the magnetic pull was enough to change the tides! But - worth it! Next up, attacking the kitchen cabinets! Cue the Psycho music! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Follow American Home here!

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.